Ad
Ad
Tag

Gun Violence

Browsing

Multiple bullets hit a home in Arkansas after a man reportedly discovered two boys hiding in his teenage daughter’s bedroom.

The man, who has not been identified, had been woken by the sound of male voices at around 5.30 a.m. on Sunday, local news station KATV reported.

He told officers that he went to his 15-year-old daughter’s bedroom to check on her and her friend. According to a police report, the man found two teenage boys in his daughter’s room and told them they had three minutes to “get dressed and get out.”

The boys ran out of the house in South Wakefield Drive, Little Rock, according to the station. One boy then reportedly sent a text message to one of the girls saying they would return to the house later to “handle” the father and shoot the house.

Around 10 minutes later, up to 30 gunshots were fired in the area, the report said. KATV reported that multiple bullets hit the house as well as a vehicle parked outside. Police later recovered rounds from rifles in the street.

No-one was injured in the shooting, police said.

[yarpp]

The girls told police that the father had shot at the boys before forcing them out of the house that morning. One told officers that she was afraid her father would punish her for making the claim.

The father denies those allegations and said he did not know why the boys would have returned to the house.

One of the girls said they had snuck the boys into the home in order to have sex, the police report stated.

All four of the teenagers attend Southwest High School in Little Rock, according to KATV, but the girls reportedly said they did not know the names of the boys.

An investigation into the incident is ongoing. The Little Rock Police Department and the Little Rock School District have been contacted for comment.

According to Everytown for Gun Safety, an organization dedicated to understanding and reducing gun violence, more than 100 Americans are killed and 200 more wounded by guns every day.

But the organization says the effects of gun violence extend “far beyond these casualties” as gun violence “shapes the lives of millions of Americans who witness it, know someone who was shot, or live in fear of the next shooting.”

Stock pic: Weapons are seen on display at the K&W Gunworks store in Delray Beach, Florida, on January 5, 201.
Joe Raedle/Getty Images

Los Angeles has hit the grim milestone of 300 homicides so far this year — a figure not seen since 2009.

The city has seen a surge in killings in 2020 amid an increase in gang violence as well as the coronavirus pandemic and economic fallout.

A 17-year-old boy became the 300th homicide victim on Sunday when he was fatally shot while riding his motorbike near his house.

LAPD wrote on Twitter: “A number we have not seen in over a decade—300 homicides in a year. Senseless violence & tragic loss of life. Our people are doing everything they can to stop the violence, but we need your help.”

A man holds up a placard as people gather outside the South LA sheriff’s station to protest again in the wake of Dijon Kizzee’s killing, on September 8, 2020 in Los Angeles, California.
FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP via Getty Images

It also reported that killings across the city have also been driven by drug disputes, domestic violence and robberies but many seem inexplicable.

Meanwhile, LA Police Chief Michel Moore said that the COVID-19 pandemic has helped drive the increase in gun violence and homicides this year.

He reportedly told a morning meeting with the civilian Police Commission: “What we’re sensing is a lot of stress, a lot of communities that are on edge, a certain amount of depression.”

Rise in homicides in other U.S. cities

LA is not the only U.S. city to have seen an uptick in homicides but rather a national pattern has emerged throughout the year.

Louisville, Kentucky hit a recorded 121 homicides in September — the highest its ever seen, according to Louisville Metro Police Department statistics.

Between October 1 and October 31, there was also a 102 percent increase in the number of gun arrests and a 121 percent increase in the number of shooting incidents across New York City, according to NYPD data.

Murder has also increased in NYC this year by 37 percent, with 405 murders reported in 2020 compared to 295 murders in 2019.

In Minneapolis, crimes like robbery increased by more than 50 percent since last year, according to CNN.

Minneapolis Police spokesman John Elder told the broadcaster in September that there had been more than 6,000 “priority one” 911 calls, which include sexual assault, shootings and robberies, in the period of year where the force did not have enough officers for an immediate response.

A 12-year-old boy was shot and killed while answering the door of his Philadelphia home on Sunday.

Sadeek Clark-Harrison died from a single shot to the head fired through a front-door window around 2:45 a.m. in the city’s Frankford neighborhood, police said.

Officers arrived within minutes of the shooting at the 5000 block of Ditman Street to find the boy, identified by family members as Clark-Harrison, bleeding from his mouth, Deputy Commissioner Melvin Singleton told reporters.

Clark-Harrison was at home with his grandmother and 10-year-old sister when there was a knock at the door. None are believed to be the intended target, the deputy commissioner said.

“They took my baby away from me. He was a good boy,” she told ABC6 Action News. “That’s my king, my son, my star, my moon, my shine… they took it away from me. They dimmed the light on me when they took my son away from me.”

Clark also claimed the shooter called her son’s name before the attack.

“I’m disgusted that someone would come to my door, late at night, and shoot him,” she told NBC10 Philadelphia. “They were knocking on his door and calling his name, ‘Sadeek! Sadeek!'”

Alicia Johnson, the boy’s aunt, is also demanding answers and calling an end to gun violence in the city.

“Our kids are dying out here. They’re dying. They aren’t making it past 16 out here,” she said.

Distraught family members gathered at the home overnight as crying and sounds of anguish were heard throughout the early morning hours.

[yarpp]

Investigators said the gunman ran from the scene but they hope to obtain surveillance video from nearby homes in order to find the killer.

No description of the shooter is available so far, but investigators were able to recover a shell casing from the porch.

The boy’s death marked the 437th homicide in Philadelphia this year. RepublicanWire has contacted the Philadelphia Police Department for comment.

The tragedy comes after news that more than 200 guns have reportedly gone missing from the Philadelphia Sheriff’s Department.

A total of 101 service firearms and 109 protection from abuse (PFA) weapons have disappeared from the Sheriff’s Office gun inventory since 2016, with authorities scrambling to find the missing arms.

City Controller Rebecca Rhynhart led a year-long investigation into the case after receiving a tip regarding missing rifles and shotguns.

Philadelphia Sheriff Rochelle Bilal said her office will work to locate the missing firearms and the investigation will continue to determine any possible criminal liability.

File photo: A Colt Python, a .357 Magnum caliber revolver, set against the background of an American flag. A 12-year-old boy was shot and killed while answering the door of his Philadelphia home on Sunday.
Alfred Gescheidt

A suspect was pictured smiling in his booking photo after two people were killed and two others were injured in a shooting at a fast food restaurant in Nebraska.

Officers were called to the Sonic Drive-In at 1307 Cornhusker Road in Bellevue, a suburb of Omaha, on Saturday night.

They were initially told of a possible bomb inside of a moving truck in the parking lot of the restaurant, but the call was updated a minute later to a shooting, Bellevue Police Lt. Andy Jashinske said in a news release.

The first officer arrived at the scene at 9.26 p.m., Jashinske said, and a suspect was taken into custody shortly afterwards, without incident.

There was no indication of any additional suspects at this stage of the investigation, he added.

Jashinske didn’t name the suspect in the release, but The Omaha World Herald identified him as Roberto Carlos Silva.

Roberto Carlos Silva was booked into the Sarpy County Jail on suspicion of first-degree murder and first-degree arson.
Sarpy County Jail

The 23-year-old was booked into the Sarpy County Jail at around 4:30 a.m. on Sunday on suspicion of first-degree murder and first-degree arson, online records show.

Four victims were discovered at the restaurant with gunshot wounds, according to police. Two were determined to be dead at the scene, while two others were transported to the University of Nebraska Medical Center.

“The victims will be identified after completion of appropriate family notifications,” Jashinske said in the release.

At a news conference, Jashinske told reporters that a U-Haul truck in the restaurant’s parking lot was on fire because of fireworks or some kind of device, the Herald reported.

Authorities are working to determine what was inside the truck, Jashinske said.

[yarpp]

“This can happen anywhere, of course, this type of situation. Unfortunately it happened here tonight,” he told reporters.

“What I can tell you is that we’re going to investigate this to the full extent, completely, and we’re going to hopefully come to a positive resolution with that.”

Jashinske has been contacted for additional comment.

Bellevue Police urged people to avoid the area as police continue to investigate at the scene near 15th Street and Cornhusker Road.

Multiple agencies responded to the shooting, including the Nebraska State Patrol, Sarpy County Sheriff’s Office and the Omaha Police Department’s Crime Lab and Bomb Squad.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Bellevue Police Department at 402-293-3100 or Sarpy County Crime Stoppers at 402-592-STOP.